Digital Center
Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us Log In
Digital Center Computer Workbench PC Software

Creative Audigy 2 Sound Blaster

Page 1 of 2 1  2 
Scarface2003 13.07.2010, 16:12
Hello,

I have a Sound blaster Audigy 2 sound card. As I donít have much space in my room, I only have 2 speakers and the sub woofer set up to my desktop PC. This setup seemed to work fine with my windows XP. But when I upgraded to windows 7, the drivers were not supported.

So I downloaded the new drivers from creativeís website and under device manager, everything is Ok. The only problem that I have realised is that when I am watching something on you tube; I get to much base and canít understand what the video is saying. I have tried to tweak the speaker settings and set them to 2/2.1 desktop speakers, but no joy. I didnít have this problem with windows XP. Also when I use the disk that was provided, it is not fully compatible and freezes the computer system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
x_Mr_C_x 13.07.2010, 21:33
Check in the Start menu under Creative to see if you have something called Creative Console Launcher. If it is there it should have an EQ button that lets you play with an Equalizer and a Bass button to tweak the bass settings. My card is a X-Fi and that is how I can adjust settings. It may not be included on the Audigy 2 though but worth a look. ;)
Scarface2003 14.07.2010, 15:49
Check in the Start menu under Creative to see if you have something called Creative Console Launcher. If it is there it should have an EQ button that lets you play with an Equalizer and a Bass button to tweak the bass settings. My card is a X-Fi and that is how I can adjust settings. It may not be included on the Audigy 2 though but worth a look. ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Under start - creative - I have the following options - Creative Audio Console, Creative software autoupdate, creative wave studio 7, Product registration, Alchemy, Creative media source, creative media source 5.

When clicking on Creative Audio Console - I get a grey box with options but no EQ button or settings that I can tweak.

It has following tabs - device information - Speakers (I have set these to 2/2.1 Speakers) - EAX ( Set to No Effects) - CMSS 3D - Decoder (Use built in Decoder selected) - SPDIF (Default) - Bit accurate - Headphone Detection - Restore default (All 4 options ticked).
x_Mr_C_x 14.07.2010, 20:07
Yup sounds like yours doesn't have the same features as mine. What is the version of the driver you downloaded? Are you on 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7? If all else fails it may be worth dropping Creative an email to find out if you can access those options.
ZX7R 14.07.2010, 22:17
You may as well just buy a new sound card. Shouldn't cost you more than 30 quid.
Scarface2003 16.07.2010, 19:55
Yup sounds like yours doesn't have the same features as mine. What is the version of the driver you downloaded? Are you on 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7? If all else fails it may be worth dropping Creative an email to find out if you can access those options.

Hi,

I am on windows 7 32 bit and under the driver properties for Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM) it says
Driver Provider: creative
Driver Date: 18/3/2010
Driver Version: 6.0.1.1377

I don't know what the (WDM) stands for, Windows Device Manager or something ???

I tried getting in contact with Creative, but no joy, they just told me to check on their website for up to date drivers.

You may as well just buy a new sound card. Shouldn't cost you more than 30 quid.

I will if push comes to shove. Its just that I am skint and out of a job at the moment and also sound card has been arouns since I built the PC and has worked fine. Also I have the speaker set and the Creative unit that sits on top of the desk.

Difficult to part with as still works. This issue has just sprung up since had new op system.
Over carl 16.07.2010, 20:24
Difficult to part with as still works. This issue has just sprung up since had new op system.

I know exactly what you mean. I luckily escaped this headache as my brother was begging me for mine (he's broke but into music, and these cards have decent s/r ratio - doubt you'll get anything similar quality for ?30).
B.I.G. 16.07.2010, 20:24
I use an audigy 2 under windows 7 64 bit and have had no problems with it albeit with 5.1 speakers.

My driver version is showing as 6.0.1.1241 and date is 12/12/2006
x_Mr_C_x 16.07.2010, 22:40
The latest driver on creatives site for the Audigy 2 is dated 9th April 2010 and has a version number of 2.18.0017 (This version is probably for the whole package hence the difference to your number)

If you got to .... and paste SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0017.exe into the search box it should bring it up.

WDM stands for Windows Driver Model and it is basically just a standard that drivers are meant to be designed to for Windows.
Scarface2003 18.07.2010, 16:26
The latest driver on creatives site for the Audigy 2 is dated 9th April 2010 and has a version number of 2.18.0017 (This version is probably for the whole package hence the difference to your number)

If you got to .... and paste SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0017.exe into the search box it should bring it up.

WDM stands for Windows Driver Model and it is basically just a standard that drivers are meant to be designed to for Windows.

I have tried again from creative's website and the 40MB is the latest driver and apps I have for the Audigy 2 Platinum ex sound card. I looked through the driver and apps details and couldn't find anything to help.

What I am really missing which for some reason is not included in this 40MB package is the settings and eq settings for the speakers for windows 7. I used to have this on windows XP - wonder if there is a way of getting that back ? Tried it from the disk provieded but just crashes windows 7 all together.
x_Mr_C_x 18.07.2010, 19:12
I have tried again from creative's website and the 40MB is the latest driver and apps I have for the Audigy 2 Platinum ex sound card. I looked through the driver and apps details and couldn't find anything to help.

What I am really missing which for some reason is not included in this 40MB package is the settings and eq settings for the speakers for windows 7. I used to have this on windows XP - wonder if there is a way of getting that back ? Tried it from the disk provieded but just crashes windows 7 all together.

Did you actually install this latest driver or just read the notes?

I've just found this .... on the Technet forums that should hopefully sort you out!
Scarface2003 19.07.2010, 16:00
Did you actually install this latest driver or just read the notes?

I've just found this .... on the Technet forums that should hopefully sort you out!

I have the actual 40Mb download from creativeís website installed and have nothing flagged up in the device manager section. Sound and game port drivers seem to be fine.

The link above says:

Included in the pack:

- Audigy series driver 2.18.0001.8 (latest beta)
- Audio Console 1.20.57
- EAX Console 3.00.56 (Windows XP only)
- Graphic Equalizer 2.00.60
- MediaSource DVD-Audio Player 2.00.78
- SoundFont Bank Manager 3.20.34
- Speaker Settings 2.00.60
- Surround Mixer 4.00.63 (Windows XP only)
Some of the stuff is Windows XP only

And then further down the page:

Advanced EQ and Special FX not available on Windows 7 / Vista
These presets don't work on Windows 7 / Vista

It sounds like a common problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated, first time I have come across the link above, and others seem to have problems with sound and speakers too.

Thanks for the reply.
Scarface2003 16.09.2010, 00:00
Thank you so, so much for that lengthy email, DelTrotter. Very very interesting. I have not come accross this information before. The way Daniel_K has been treated by Creative is appauling.

I have the folowing version downloaded from creatives website ....

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series driver 2.18.0017
Filesize : 40.42 MB

Which still gives so many annoying problems, when listening to you tube videos and on top of all that i can't adjust the speakers to allow me to hear whats happening in the videos.

I agree with Daniel on everything but most of all he says that even he does not use all the features, what he has should work correctly. Also creative should think twice as it is the consumer who is getting their arse ripped apart by paying for drivers with bugs and more patches on top of that.

Anyways, should i firsty uninstall the creative drivers from my PC and then downoad the drivers by Daniel from ....
or can they be installed alongside these ?

Which drivers should I install - to get the sound card working to the best of its ability ? I am using windows 7 - 32 bit version.

Many, many thanks again.
DelTrotter 16.09.2010, 00:00

Originally Posted by Scarface2003:

Thank you so, so much for that lengthy email, DelTrotter. Very very interesting. I have not come accross this information before. The way Daniel_K has been treated by Creative is appauling.

I have the folowing version downloaded from creatives website ....

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series driver 2.18.0017
Filesize : 40.42 MB

Which still gives so many annoying problems, when listening to you tube videos and on top of all that i can't adjust the speakers to allow me to hear whats happening in the videos.

I agree with Daniel on everything but most of all he says that even he does not use all the features, what he has should work correctly. Also creative should think twice as it is the consumer who is getting their arse ripped apart by paying for drivers with bugs and more patches on top of that.

Anyways, should i firsty uninstall the creative drivers from my PC and then downoad the drivers by Daniel from ....
or can they be installed alongside these ?

Which drivers should I install - to get the sound card working to the best of its ability ? I am using windows 7 - 32 bit version.

Many, many thanks again.

Uninstall using add and remove program then use a cleaner like driversweeper to clean.reboot and install in safemode.
ill post a version for you

Like i say I had my audigy 4 working perfect with Video and Music. But when it came to games it just distorted. I have no clue why but had to go back to my Realtek onboard sound :( .
:pissed:
Scarface2003 17.09.2010, 00:00

Originally Posted by DelTrotter:

Uninstall using add and remove program then use a cleaner like driversweeper to clean.reboot and install in safemode.
ill post a version for you

Like i say I had my audigy 4 working perfect with Video and Music. But when it came to games it just distorted. I have no clue why but had to go back to my Realtek onboard sound :( .
:pissed:

Thanks for posting.

After removing the Creative Sound card drivers, which drivers do I install from the link given,
Eg.
Audigy Series Vista Driver Installer Version 2, daniel_kís SB Audigy Series Support Pack 3.8 (which are beta drivers), Audigy Series Vista Driver Installer Version 1, etc etc.......

Or which combinations of the drivers can be used without causing conflicts ?

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2