Digital Center
Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us Log In
Digital Center Vehicles Cars

Renault Megane Window Problem

jkyle42 25.03.2009, 03:31
Hi looking for some help please, I have a 03 renault megane 1.5 Dci and just spent the last 3 hours trying to close the rear drivers window, when i parked the car i pressed the key fob twice, once to lock the doors then again to deadlock all doors, when i done this the rear drivers window decided it would be funny and open all the way down and would not close. Tried google and removed the fuses, locked the car, opened the car pressed the buttons pleaded with the window, kicked the car but nothing would work. Had to remove the rear door skin remove the window from the runner and jam window closed with wood. So i now have half a back door, wood jamming up my window and no radio (Dont have the security code) cause i had to remove the fuses and battery.

Any help or info would be great

Cheers J.
Pauls-diagnostic 26.03.2009, 01:46
Hi i take it that the windows are electric.If so sounds like a problem in the wiring or window motor.If you have access to any kind of diagnostic equipment this should pretty much tell you the problem if not if you can get a hold of a multi meter can usually be bought for ?3-?4 and a handy thing to have.Ensure your battery has full power and fuses are all ok then disconnect the wiring connector that goes on to the window motor set your multi meter to volts and the 2 prongs you get with multi meters put the red one in one hole of the connector and the black prong in the second hole on connector then press the window switch that works the window you are working and and look for a the 12v on your multi meter.If it shows 12v can be slightly above or below then your looking at the motor if you do not get the 12v or anywhere near it then you will need to trace the 2 wires back to the fuse box or control module then again with your multi meter switch it to ohms and this time put the 1 of the prongs at one end of a wire and the other prong at the other end of the same wire and look for zero on the multi meter if you get a reading of any amount then there is resistance in the wire which indicates a problem with this wire do the same test on the other wire.If there is resistance in the wire the easiest thing to do is replace the wire rather than searching through the dud wire to try find where the problem lies.cool2
PrideandPassion 26.03.2009, 02:18
Looks like it is a common fault, could be water in the electrical block. Have a look here

Renault Megane - Window FUBAR?!!! - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum
HermaN 26.03.2009, 03:41
...then again with your multi meter switch it to ohms and this time put the 1 of the prongs at one end of a wire and the other prong at the other end of the same wire and look for zero on the multi meter if you get a reading of any amount then there is resistance in the wire which indicates a problem with this wire do the same test on the other wire.

Not correct mate

If there is an open circuit (ie break in wire) then there will be an infinite resistance and the multimeter will just blink at you, usually showing "10:00" or something like that (cant remember exactly).

If you have any sort of low resistance (a couple of Ohms) then the wire is fine, all wire has a certain resistance, there's no such thing as the perfect conductor (yet) that will give you 0 Ohms.
wiggi28 26.03.2009, 04:19
had a similar problem on a megane where it kept opening the passenger window of the car once locked because it though the driver had left the keycard inside

turns out theres a fault with the body control unit and quite a few do this

ah viva la france
'la voiture merde":)
AxE 26.03.2009, 19:11
My Audi started doing this couple week ago but with the front windows as its 3 door. Could do with putting it on VAGCOM see if it flags up with any faults.
barachello 26.03.2009, 22:25
Does the window still open and close when you use the window switches ?

My 04 scenic passenger side window fell down into the door, and I had to buy a small green block that held the regulator to the window.

only a couple of quid from Renault.

Scenic Window Problem - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum
jkyle42 26.03.2009, 23:53
no the window is total dead, nothing from the switch (main front switch and switch on back door) also no sound from the window motor. Starting to think i have some major electric fault after i pulled the fuses to try and reset the windows i lost the radio code, now everytime i turn the car off i have to re
enter the radio code and re set the time on the clock!!! Could this be because i have unpluged the back door ????
barachello 27.03.2009, 00:20
can you take the motor from one of the other doors and try it in it ?

That should tell you if the motor is dead, or if there is no power getting to it just.

Failing that, check the wiring that leads into the door to see if any of the wires have been nipped or caught up.
Pauls-diagnostic 30.03.2009, 02:53
If you are getting no power to the switches it sounds like a problem from fuse box to switches.Have you checked all the fuses for the windows as there are several fuses for the electric windows.The f6 fuse in the main fuse box.(engine compartment)-(Also fuse f2,,f8 and f9 fuses in the fuse box inside the car)Relay number 1 the top one as you look at the interior fuse box is the window relay so listen for it clicking when trying to operate windows.If all fuses are ok then i would be looking at the wiring from the fuse box to the switch.great
soulassassin 30.03.2009, 15:09
Sounds like a short somewhere to me. The deadlock has closed the window and held the power onto it, possibly burning out the windows motor. Altho as Paul has mentioned I'd think a fuse would have gone to prevent this. Think your gonna have to get a test meter out to see if and where power is getting to.