Digital Center
Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us Log In
Digital Center Mobile Phones, Tablets & Other Gadgets Handsets & Device Discussion

Can't make or receive calls, just get 3 beeps

MR-HIPPO 13.09.2007, 00:41
The phone I have is a T-mobile MDA Compact that has been network unlocked.
The problem is that it is unable to make or receive normal calls. The symptoms vary across networks, with vodafone being the most functional. The symptoms are as follows.

----

Tesco Mobile SIM: - no service.

----

T-Mobile SIM: Connects to network and shows a signal, but no call functions work.

----

vodafone SIM (ASDA): Connects to network, shows a signal, can send and receive text messages, can make 999 calls.

Can't make or receive normal calls:
When trying to dial out the display goes from "dialing" to "call ended" and three quiet beeps can be heard, the dialed phone never rings.

If called from BT landline the caller simply hears "Error" and callers from other mobile phones hear a variety of different tones (engaged, beeps etc)
If the phone is switched off, the callers get the usual "the phone you are calling is not available" message.

------

The phone has a CheckMend certificate to show that it is not lost or stolen, and T-Mobile have confirmed that the IMEI is not barred on their network.

While attempting to fix this:
I have reflashed the phone with several ROMs and updated the radio from 1.12 to 1.13, but the original problem remains unchanged.

I Have E-mailed HTC technical support with a description of the problem but as yet have had no reply.

If any one is able to shed any light on this I would be very grateful.
Termy 13.09.2007, 00:51
There are only 2 reasons that I can think of for this, and they are -

1/ The handset is barred. I have had T-Mobile confirm that one of my handsets wasnt barred,,, and it turned out it was.

2/ There is a hardware fault, but this would cause a loss of signal. And you quite clearly state that there is a signal on Voda.

Some networks still show a signal even when barred, esp Voda. Have you tried sending a text on the Voda sim. If it can send a text on the Voda sim and none of the others this would again say to me that it is barred.

I am afraid these are the only conclusions I can come to at the moment.
Mobileman 13.09.2007, 00:53
yep sounds like choice one its been barred, the correct term is triple tone

sounds like this... dooo dooo dooo
MR-HIPPO 13.09.2007, 18:46
How can I get a definitive answer on whether or not the handset is barred? It shouldn't be but the ability to send and receive texts and make 999 calls on the vodafone network does seem to pretty much rule out everything else.
But:

1) I know the history of the Device from new and it is not of dubious origin.

2) I have rum the IMEI through the CheckMend .... database and it has come back as clean.

3) The previous owner, a very good friend of mine has spoken to T-Mobile (he still has an account with them) and they have confirmed that the IMEI of this phone is not barred.

I am not really sure what else I can do to check this

If there is anyone here who has access to a database to check if the phone is barred, I would be very grateful and would be quite happy to provide you with the IMEI and the CheckMend .... certificate number.
Spennyboy 13.09.2007, 19:20
Right, based on the phones behaviour its deffainately of "barred" status.

Vodafone can still text from a bar handset and tmob will get no signal.

If your friends rang tmob and they say its not barred , then your looking at a really weird fault that is someone copying the identical actions of a barred handset.
Mickey 13.09.2007, 19:25
Give me ya number and ill ring you up to see if its broken
Honest i will honest:whistling :whistling
MR-HIPPO 13.09.2007, 22:47
Right, based on the phones behaviour its deffainately of "barred" status.

Vodafone can still text from a bar handset and tmob will get no signal.

With a T-mobile SIM it does show the network and get a signal but it cant send receive texts / calls.

If there is anyone here who has access to a database to check if the phone is barred, I would be very grateful and would be quite happy to provide you with the IMEI and the CheckMend .... certificate number.
Antdemo45 18.02.2008, 00:56
right, its barred, dont come up with shit its barred, theirs nothing you can do only get a vodaphone sim and text, YOU CAN RECIVE AND SEND TEXT ON VODAPHONE.

Been their done that, you talk shit you liar, your have a stolen phone other wise it would not be barred I CAN 100% ASURE YOU
beerman 18.02.2008, 01:18
right, its barred, dont come up with shit its barred, theirs nothing you can do only get a vodaphone sim and text, YOU CAN RECIVE AND SEND TEXT ON VODAPHONE.

Been their done that, you talk shit you liar, your have a stolen phone other wise it would not be barred I CAN 100% ASURE YOU

wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of bed. Keep it up, you'll fit right in around here, I can 100% asure you.
Termy 18.02.2008, 01:45
wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of bed. Keep it up, you'll fit right in around here, I can 100% asure you.
Yeah on the wrong side, with a bad attitude and 5 months too late too, lol.
beerman 18.02.2008, 02:39
Yeah on the wrong side, with a bad attitude and 5 months too late too, lol.

buhahaha, never noticed the date.

From reading his other posts he's already making new friends :D