Digital Center
Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us Log In
Digital Center Cameras, Photography & Videography Cameras & Photography - Hardware

Photographing kids clothes for a website

WTD 19.08.2007, 15:20
I am soon going to be kicking off an online store for kids clothes, and when the stock is manufactured and delivered, I'm going to have to photograph it for the online store and for catalogues.

Now, I dont mind paying for a photographer to do this, but as I'll be expanding the range continually, I thought it would be a realatively simple thing (famous last words ;)) to keep in house..

I'd like a white background on each photo for ease of integration into the white background of the site.

a) how can this be achieved

b) what kit do I need..

Oh and as they are kids clothes, they won't be too large to get a full photo of...

Any help kindly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Steve
WTD 28.08.2007, 15:39
anyone?
[wingnut] 28.08.2007, 23:08
Only just seen this thread mate. Sorry.
This is what I did when I work for a famous (cough) surfwear company, before seeing the light..

You can do it in many different ways, it all depends on how you want to display the goods. Personally I liked shooting the clothes on the models as it is the best way but it can be tricky. For two reasons, firstly finding a willing model the right size who doesn't sulk off after 10 mins or has a money grabbing parent wanting more money / clothes for doing it. And finding someone to fit the clothes perfectly too. Also you will need to open and use each garment and you know what kids are like!!!
As you are starting out I would do it this way. Obviously you have a camera and know how to use it. if not the rest is irrelevant just call me and I will do it..... DF mates rates mind...
I would go for a simple setup of one of these - Light cube tent - Ebay .... and just place the clothes laid out inside, take the image from the top looking down so it looks like the garment is laid out on a white surface. Look at the Whitestuff .... website to see what I mean, if you don't like that style then check out other on-line clothing stores and find a style you like. Using the light cube you won't lose stock, every shot will be the same thus keeping continuity throughout the site and it's relatively cheap to start up, once you have the kit you can then take more shots as and when. Without paying someone to do it.. Saving you money...

You didn't say what camera you have too, if it's a digital slr then shooting in raw with a custom white balance will bring nice even results, plus use an aperture of around f/5.6 - f/8 you won't need a separate flash unit as the lights with the linked light cube are continuous so a steady tripod is essential.

Hope this helps somewhat, if you are close to Devon I am more than willing to come help you get started one weekend, or just advice you as much as needed...

Good luck mate..
WTD 29.08.2007, 04:32
Thanks for the top advice mate, I have been looking into getting a light tent to photograph the items, liking the cost of this one you pointed out with the lights!

A lot of people on other forums have been adamant that clothes only look good being photographed on a mannequin.. I personally think that the 'baby' mannequins are retarded and look terrible, so intended to shoot the goods on the flat white background, as pretty much every online baby clothes shop does.. I will though try to get photo's of models wearing the goods, but this is going to be a nice extra.. Is it wrong to put a baby in a light tent for photo shooting purposes?? How hot do they get?

At the moment I have sony DSC-V1 which is getting a bit old, but always produces decent shots, but I also have the option to buy a DSLR (there is a new one coming out soon i think, my mate is getting rid of last years model, can't remember brand etc) so will probably ship that in..

Will get a light tent and have a play, thanks for the advice matey :) appreciate it!
[wingnut] 29.08.2007, 12:38
Not a problem mate, just glad to offer some advice that may be of use..

As for shooting the clothing on a mannequin looking good, IMHO and from experience it doesn't, I blew about 1k on different "natural" looking mannequins and none of them look natural, that's why we opted for the lay flat look.

Putting a baby in a light tent will be sooooo wrong.. Nice thought though
WTD 29.08.2007, 16:00
re the kid in the lightbox, if no-one is looking I might try it though, see how it turns out.. thanks for the mannequin advice, glad I didn't shell out on one!

Have bought that light box off ebay, so will start having a play when it turns up!

:)
nitelife 29.08.2007, 16:32
Excellent advice. Thanks wingnut. Always thought it would be expensive getting something like that.
[wingnut] 29.08.2007, 21:27
No problem bud, always happy to pass on any snippets of info i can offer..

Photography need not be expensive.. Having the biggest and best lens / camera etc etc is no match for a little forward thinking a imagination. My first DIY light cube was two chairs a white sheet and a desk lamp.. But now they have come down in price.. Even half decent studio flash gear is now within the reach of the average camera user... It's how you use it that matters...
WTD 01.09.2007, 12:42
hey fella, got that light cube today, and have been playing around.

One question, when photographing 'top down' with the hole in the lightbox at the top, how do I set up my camera tripod, so that I can actually take the photograph?
[wingnut] 02.09.2007, 15:39
It will all depend n what tripod you use, I use a giotto's that you can manipulate into all sorts of different positions. Guessing you only have limited movement on your tripod. So guessing it will be a case of suck it and see..