Digital Center
Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us Log In
Digital Center Computer Workbench PC Problems

Fujitsu Siemens laptop freezing/locking up - help req'd please

Kingbee2k 01.07.2007, 13:12
Hi there,

My Fujitsu Siemens laptop is freezing/locking up regularly - it's an Amilo Pro v3515, and have had it a few months. It's got a Pentium Celeron 1.73Ghz processor, and 1.5GB Ram. The problem seems to happen when I have a few programs going at once, but I've never had a problem with (less powerful) desktop PCs freezing up like this!
(never had a laptop before)

When it does freeze up, sometimes it's the touchpad mouse that goes first, then the whole lot, or just the whole lot at once, and it's meaning I lose work sometimes, as when the touchpad mouse freezes up/fails to work, and I plug in a USB mouse, I can still navigate, but not save files! blink & I have to unplug the power lead, disconnect the battery and reboot it.

What's going on?!

If anyone can help out with some info/advice, it'd be much appreciated.

Many thanks

W
stevie2001 01.07.2007, 13:40
You`ll need to give a bit more info...

Does it do this when you are running a specific program or combination of programs?

If you`re running a usb mouse does it still freeze?

Have you tried disabling the touchpad & just running on a mouse?

I gotta say it seems to be a bit drastic having to disconnect the battery & power before re-booting.

Try & post up some more detailed info & I`m sure you`ll get some suggestions as to what to try.
Kingbee2k 01.07.2007, 13:59
Hi Steve and thanks for the reply,

The freezing happens when I have a few programs open, not any specific progs it seems too - e.g. I'll have a few Internet Explorers open, then open Photoshop, then a Notepad and it freezes up after a short time of having everything open. N.B. When using a memory/processor intensive prog like Photoshop CS3, it does tend to freeze up more, but it's not just with Photoshop - lesser intensive progs, like a few tiny progs can make it lock up too(!)

I have running in the background - Zonealarm, Kaspersky anti-virus, PowerISO and Peer Guardian2 (loads on boot up, as I download torrents with uTorrent sometimes), so sometimes uTorrent open/downloading too (although on this laptop, uTorrent seems to 'dominate' my internet connection, and I can't view webpages while it's downloading, whereas on previous desktop PCs I could?! - sometimes webpages *do* work, but often they're -extremely- slow and not worth the bother).

Using the USB mouse instead of the touchpad, the PC is still liable to freeze/lock up, but when using the touch pad mouse, that seems to often go first, then the whole machine.

Sometimes if I close the laptop lid and reopen it, Windows jumps back into life, but often it's not the case and it's still frozen.

+ when it does freeze, there's no way to reboot apart from unplug the power and disconnect the battery - CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't work, as the whole keyboard is locked.

I also have another slight problem which may or may not be related, in that when using Windows Media Player, there's some sort of refresh problem - the mouse jerks around the screen like there's a 1-2 second delay (only when using Media Player), and when playing a music file, the trippy visualisation graphics jerk along every second; however when you have another Windows box (like a small Windows file explorer box) open, Media Player visualisation runs at full speed & smooth!? When playing video files, they play ok, but the mouse still jerks around when you try to use it.

Also, previously, when using another media player - VLC media player - the sound would cut out every few seconds, probably to do with this 'refresh' problem, but now it's ok(!) and the mouse pointer doesn't jerk around with VLC(?!).

Many thanks and all the best
stevie2001 01.07.2007, 17:15
Its going to be a process of elimination I guess.

Theres far better techs on here than me so hopefully one of them will spot this & jump in.

As to utorrent taking over your connection, I`m sure theres a way to restrict it in some way, although it could simply be your ISP throtlling your connection... I don`t use torrents so I can`t help with that.

Have you tried running Task manager & looking to see what is using the most resources at various times? It could indicate where the problem lies.

What OS are you running XP, Vista & are they fully updated?

It could simply be an overheating problem, even a memory problem or a graphic problem... I haven`t looked up the model but is it shared graphics or does the lappy have a dedicated graphics card?

Have you done a full Virus/spyware scan?
Kingbee2k 01.07.2007, 17:26
Its going to be a process of elimination I guess.

Theres far better techs on here than me so hopefully one of them will spot this & jump in.

As to utorrent taking over your connection, I`m sure theres a way to restrict it in some way, although it could simply be your ISP throtlling your connection... I don`t use torrents so I can`t help with that.

Have you tried running Task manager & looking to see what is using the most resources at various times? It could indicate where the problem lies.

What OS are you running XP, Vista & are they fully updated?

It could simply be an overheating problem, even a memory problem or a graphic problem... I haven`t looked up the model but is it shared graphics or does the lappy have a dedicated graphics card?

Have you done a full Virus/spyware scan?

Hi and thanks for the further help Steve,

I will try to nail it down some more by logging the details of when it happens, and also try to 'crash test' it, by opening loads of problems and noting the Task Manager info when it does freeze up.

I don't think my ISP is throttling my connection, as I usually get good download speeds, although I have recently moved abroad and changed ISPs, so it maybe ISP related. However, as I say, webpages do load ok sometimes, like 10% of the time, but mostly they're just far too slow to be worth opening. So instead, I tend to watch downloads while downloading more in the background, which works out fine.

The OS is a genuine copy of WinXP Home, and is fully updated.

I also run regular (every week) full system virus checks (with fully updated Kaspersky),and every few days an anti spyware check with Ad-Aware.

The graphics are shared, and with the original 0.5GB RAM, I could understand the graphics getting overloaded, as when I checked, almost all the RAM was being used up with a few small progs and the shared graphics running (not Photoshop at the time), but with an extra 1GB of RAM bringing the total to 1.5GB, there's plenty of slack there now.

It may be overheating, but surely the laptop should be able to handle the bits I throw at it - well I would expect it to anyway!

Thanks again
Kingbee2k 01.07.2007, 18:08
Well, it just happened again - touchpad mouse stopped working, and small icon of touchpad mouse disappeared from bottom right of Windows taskbar.

'Was only running one webpage (Internet Explorer) and one Windows file explorer at the time.

I plugged in the USB mouse to carry on, which worked, but also noticed another strange problem, in that when I tried to cut some files into another folder, with the touchpad mouse problem, I couldn't select many files by clicking on the first file, holding down SHIFT+CTRL and then selecting a file at the bottom of the list, in order to select multiple files at once, although the keyboard was otherwise working ok!

So, I did a System Shutdown via the Windows-Start-Turn Off Computer option, as could use the USB mouse.

Windows Taskbar showed minimal CPU usage after the touchpad failed - 4-5%.

Hmmm...